Monday, October 10, 2011

adventures in kitchen-less eating

This post is not about baking at all. Sorry. But it definitely has the 'bucket' aspect and it's about food, so whatevs.



I'm living out of hotel room at the moment, which means no kitchen and a lot of takeaway/overpriced room service. My waistline and my bank account agree that this is not a very satifactory way of living. I had the morning off yesterday so I decided to adventure to the supermarket in an attempt to appease said body part and bank account.

What follows is not particularly inventive, I guess, but maybe just a reminder that you can do a lot with not much :)


So here's a guide to making something healthy without a kitchen.

1. beg, borrow or steal (or, you know, buy) a fork. The hotel restaurant here happily lent me one, so I managed to avoid criminal activity.
2. buy salad-y things and a half roasted chicken* from the supermarket. Salad-y things must not require a knife for for preparation - think cherry tomatoes, sprouts, bagged lettuce, canned chickpeas (these are totally salad-y)
3. divvy them up between a couple of takeaway containers. Shred the chicken and add it.


4. eat one serve. I'm not a huge salad dressing fan, but I saw smallish serves/bottles of dressing in the supermarket, or you could pinch a sachet from some takeaway place.
5. remove some of the overpriced drinks from the minibar to hygenically store your lunch for tomorrow.


6. win.
7. look at the photos you took with your phone and realise you took them all portrait. rookie blogger move.
8. shrug and post anyway.

Three lunches cost $10, instead of $15 for a plain house salad from room service. Go me.

HOPEFULLY, I'll be home later this week. I am gonna bake up a freakin' storm next weekend, and possibly kiss my oven.




* or some canned tuna (they come in a million varieties so you then don't need dressing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment